Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dilemma

There's a girl here, one of Scott's closest female friends, who I don't really like. I don't hate her, but there's a lot of reasons why it's probably just best if I don't spend too much time with her. Partly because I think she's been quite rude to me in the past, and partly because she's just not the type of person I have much in common with (she was the one who asked whether christmas was celebrated in England).

Now, as I have no friends here, and really don't want to be developing any enemies, I had decided that the best way to handle her would just be to be sweet and polite whenever we happened to be hanging out at the same place. I'm a big girl, and I'm sure I can manage to be nice for a few hours at a time. However, this morning I received an email from her inviting me to an all-girls party weekend on an island just off the coast of LA at the end of the month.

There are many, many, reasons why this trip doesn't sound like it would be that much fun for me. She would be the only person I know attending and, as such, I would have to spend a lot of time with her (i.e. sharing rooms in hotels and relying on her to drive me to and from the ferry). I'm not even sure if I can be polite for a whole weekend, especially when alcohol is involved, and especially when I don't have Scott there to triangulate (knowing both of us he could presumably fill those gaps in conversation somewhat). Plus, these are LA actress girls, for whom appearence is everything, and I don't know if I can cope with the stress of trying to look perfect all weekend...

On the other hand, I'm meant to be starting a new life here. I really need friends, and I really need to develop a bit of a life away from Scott. Am I just being scared? Or, if hell is other people, why on earth would anyone choose to spend a weekend with a girl they found it difficult to sit through a simple dinner with a week ago? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

- Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that the girl in question doesn't like me either. She's certainly never been awfully friendly before. She's probably just inviting me out of politeness to Scott, in which case how bad would it be for both of us if I actually go?!?

4 comments:

AnnaP said...

Hello Mrs!

Is there any way you can go to some of it?

Otherwise, blow them off, I reckon!

ax

Lucy said...

Oh my!

I think you should go, if only to make us laugh with all the dozy things she says!

At least you've got the Beckhams moving to LA soon...!

BTW, can't believe your gas story - shocking.

Your wedding looked amazing - where did it take place? It looked very pride and prejudice, Darcy's house or something!

There are a few of my wedding photos on http://lucyrichard.spaces.live.com/

Good luck deciding what to do.
Lucy
xxx

Mel said...

Welcome to blogworld Phil. We just need Zanna to make an appearance and it's like the days back at Nevill....

Phil said...

Update- I decided to be good and be open to aloowing new experiences into my life and told those in question that I would love to join them. I found out through someone completley different that the event was cancelled - the girl who was organising it clearly not deeming me worthy of being told about said cancellation. Bitter, me?